Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day Three - Choosing Faith Over Fine Things

Lk 2:12  
This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” (NIV)

And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” (ESV)

This is what you’re to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger.” (MSG)

Too often during the Christmas season, we wrap our self-esteem in the quantity and quality gifts we give and receive. Most parents have struggled with whether or not to buy the gift your child desperately wanted but you couldn't quite afford. Likewise, most of us have had a time or two when we desperately wanted a gift but knew our spouse or parents wouldn't be able to afford it.

In one sense, it is natural to want to give and receive nice things. But let us soberly recall that focusing on our material things above our spiritual blessings is sinful. As you finish shopping, take some time to meditate on the importance of this fact: The best gift ever given in the history of mankind was born in a barn, wrapped in cloths and placed in an animal's feeding trough.

Thought questions:
  • Why do you suppose Jesus was born into such humble circumstances? What is God trying to teach us through this? He was so truly humble himself to come and walk beside us here. It was a main theme in his entire life, and one that he repeated out loud many times. I think it's beautiful that he was born in a stable, and it is probably a bit too romantic for me. If my children were to have been born that way, I would probably be a bit anxious about it!  there IS A certain romance that all the paintings and images have brought to this scene. But I am pretty sure it was beyond surprising for the Jews in that day. For the teachers and shepherds and wise men and leaders, who were all expecting this king. Katie Davis had a lovely post on her blog last year (January 18th to be exact) about this thought.  
    • Jn5:19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.
    • Lk 14:7 When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10 But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. 11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
    • Lk 18:14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
    • Lk 13:12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
    • Lk 22:24 A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25 Jesus said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.
    • MT 23:8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
  • What are some of the best non-material gifts that you have received?  I think just people sitting down with me in my home while I work are tremendous blessings. I love to be around people, but also have many things to do. I don't want to be rude by continuing to work, but there are a few who truly understand, and are willing to watch! I love that!! 
  • What are some of the best non-material gifts that you have given?  I don't remember things that way, but I hear people say that they know I love people. I am glad for that, because there are days when I seriously WONDER!  I am glad I can convey my genuine love, even when I feel messed up inside.
  • What are some gifts that God has given you this year?  God has given us new friendships and really great conversations about him. Thought provoking times!! He has also allowed us to see gaps with the kids and fruit in what we planted well. I love that! Those kids are such a blessing to us!
  • What are some gifts you can give this Christmas that don't involve spending money?  Everything seems to involve money, even if it's a small amount. BUT - I did take in my little kindergarten friend to help his mom out. That was a joy for me to do. :)
  • Are you overly reliant on material wealth for your joy, comfort and happiness?  Surely I am. I often fret over the things I'd like to see fixed or for the vision I have for my home - which seems farther away from reality each year. I am blessed beyond measure, but those little foxes come up and bite me on my heels all the time. I try to let it go, but I do feel there is a line between being materialistic and not being a good steward of the things he HAS given us already. I hate to see things fall into disrepair. Hopefully, those things can be fixed this year, but if they're not, it will all be ok. We are blessed to have our home.
Some FREE activities that may help to set you free:
  1. Write a card to someone telling them how much you love them and why.
  2. Use your talents to create a gift for someone.
  3. Provide a service for someone: Help with yard work, do their laundry, make them a meal, wash their car, clean their house, etc.
  4. Bake some cookies for a neighbor, your postman, the firemen at the local fire station, the folks at a local homeless shelter. Try giving a gift to a perfect stranger.
  5. Visit a nursing home. Many elderly residents have few or no visitors during this season.
  6. Watch The Little Drummer Boy. Whose gift was most appreciated?

No comments: